TRAVEL: I Don’t Need Travel Insurance

0
901

By Olivia Boodram
June 4th, 2014 Edition

“It sounds like a good idea, but I don’t need it” often said when considering emergency health protection for their travel. After explaining the ample benefits and assurance that the investment can provide, some will even reply with a casual, “I have traveled many times without purchasing it, and nothing has ever happened to me.”

I am sure many, if not all of us, may have begrudgingly thought this way ourselves as we set aside money for our car, home or life insurance. But we do these things anyway out of common sense, at least until our crystal ball comes back from the cleaners, since the truth is none of us truly know when or under what circumstances we will need protection – potentially a wealth-saving safety net.

If only there was a way to capture the number of people who opted not to get insurance and then returned from their trips with no illness or accident encounters. This would be difficult to tally, because returning from your trip unscathed, generally is not reportable. At least I have never had anyone call me to say – “Olivia, I have just returned from my trip, and it’s a good thing I didn’t buy any insurance, because nothing happened to me.” But if we could capture those numbers, I’m sure it would be around the 80% mark, which is pretty good odds, that you will travel and return unharmed. Working with those rough chances, could be I am only speaking to 20% of you. So, which one of us, represents the one in five? Your guess is as good as mine.

Let me give you some examples of excuses I have heard over the years, as to why some people feel they do not need travel insurance.
• I am very good at knowing when I am going to be sick, and I am feeling really healthy right now
• I am used to driving on those roads, because I grew up in this country (destination)
• Before I go on a trip I see my doctor and he said that I am in great shape
• Insurance is just a way to get my money. Insurance companies are all crooks
• I go to church, and God has always protected me and my family
• The premiums are very expensive. I will take my chances rather than pay that amount
• My neighbour was hospitalized while away and is still paying for the bills. But this won’t happen to me, because I’m young & healthy.
• I had a heart attack 4 years ago, and the Doctor put me on medication for my high blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood thinner and diabetes, and I am stable. Have been for years.
• I’ll take insurance for my husband, because he is a sick man. But I am good, I don’t need insurance.
• If I get sick or injured while I’m away, I will call you and get the insurance then.

These are just a few examples of things I have heard. I want to emphasize, that if you have any questions or concerns relating to your own travel plans, please do not hesitate to call or email me at oliviab@yourtravelinsurance.ca or visit my website at www.yourtravelinsurance.ca and I will respond to each of your questions.

Take the time, do your research, find the best price, coverage and protection to suit your individual travel plans. But please, please DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT EMERGENCY HEALTH TRAVEL PROTECTION.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here