BY: EARTHA LOWE
The quality of ingredients you bring to your baking counter when it comes to making a dessert will determine whether or not your highly anticipated delight will succeed or falter. The ingredients should be of the best quality! Since there’s always room for dessert, why not whip something together that’s magical and extraordinary using the best natural ingredients?
Chocolate Premium chocolate has a strong, rich, deeply chocolatey aroma and should taste somewhat complex. Once you eat it, it should melt in your mouth almost immediately. Premium chocolate should not feel waxy or pasty and should break into clean shards when chopped with a knife. Always look for the words cocoa butter, cocoa solids, cocoa mass, or cocoa liquor on the ingredients list. When baking deeply chocolatey desserts, bittersweet chocolate is the best type of chocolate to use. Bittersweet chocolate is the result of some sugar and a little vanilla being added back to the chocolate liquor along with some more cocoa butter.
Baking Brownies. Like cookies, brownies are a commonly made dessert. They have the right combination of flavour and texture, and they are incomparably easy to prepare! Brownies are virtually identical to cookie dough. The major difference is that brownies never become crisp (unless of course, you overcook them). If you like very soft brownies, remove them from the oven when the center first sets; a toothpick inserted into the middle will bring a few crumbs out with it, although it will not actually be wet.
Chocolatey Vegan Brownie Bites
- 3 cups spinach leaves, loosely packed
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make regular square brownies, grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- To make the brownie bites grease a mini muffin or cupcake tray. This batch will yield 24 – 28 mini bites.
- Combine the spinach and milk in a food processor and blend until smooth. Empty the mixture into a large bowl and whisk in the sugar and coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the spinach, almond milk, sugar and coconut oil mixture, stirring until you have a thick batter. Fold in the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Spread the batter into the prepared 8″ x 8″ baking pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the edge of a brownie comes out clean.
- The brownie bites will require less baking time. Scoop tablespoonfuls into the mini muffin or cupcake tray. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean.
Tips for Serving
These brownies are amazing on their own or you can add your favourite toppings for an extra sweet experience. After all, a sweet experience is what desserts are all about. Top these brownies with warm melted chocolate, enjoy with strawberries or even vanilla ice cream.
Food category: vegan, vegetarian
Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
Serves: 6 – 8
Densely chocolate with no bitter aftertaste, you would never guess that these incredible brownies bites are also made with the goodness of spinach. That’s one delicious secret! Anyone, including plant-based foodies, can enjoy this tasty treat.